Church of Nigeria Gets New Dean, Elect Two Archbishops, Four BishopsJune 7, 2023
- NGOZI ADIGHIBE
- October 29, 2016
- 0 Comments
CHURCH OF NIGERIA
THE COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE 8TH DIOCESAN COMMUNICATORS CONFERENCE HELD AT IBRU INTERNATIONAL ECUMENICAL CENTRE, AGBAHRHA-OTOR, DELTA STATE, FROM WEDNESDAY, 26TH TO SATURDAY, 29TH OCTOBER, 2016
The conference of the Diocesan Communicators of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) held at IBRU International Ecumenical Centre, Agbarha-Otor, Delta State, 26TH to 29TH October, 2016, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and mandate of His Grace, the Most Rev. Nicholas D. Okoh, MA, fss, mss, LLD, Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria.
The conference had thirty one participants in attendance and was declared open by the Primate’s representative.
The conference expresses her deep appreciation to His Grace, the Most Rev. Nicholas D. Okoh, for his robust support of the conference of Diocesan Communicators. It also commends him for diligently steering the affairs of the church under the guidance and direction of the Holy Spirit, thus, making the church take her rightful place in the comity of churches. It also appreciates the resource persons: Bishop of Ikwere Diocese, Rt. Rev. Dr. Blessing Enyindah, Acting Manager of the Anglican Cable Network Nigeria (ACNN), Engr. Korede Akintunde and Dame Benedicta Ehanire of the Department of the English and Literature, University of Benin, for their illuminating presentations.
THEME OF THE CONFERENCE
The conference deliberated on the theme “Relevance of digital technology and social media in effective communication,” and sees it as apt at a time when the church yearns to use the social media and other relevant platforms to spread the gospel of truth. Having brainstormed on the theme of the conference and equipped with the latest in communication skills and modern techniques in the art of news gathering and dissemination in a fast changing world, and the craving to function more effectively to bring the Good News as well as other activities of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) and our various Dioceses to limelight, the following recommendations were reached:
- That Diocesan communicators and the church should use every available information and communication media to propagate the gospel in consonance with the Great Commission and other Anglican concerns.
- That viewed against the backdrop of moral decadence, loss of ethical values and the pervasive use of the New Media channels to preach, spread heresies and falsehood, the church is called upon to cue into the social media channels to correct the wrong doctrines and to uphold the orthodoxy of the Holy Bible.
- That the hierarchy of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) should evolve a deliberate strategy to ensure that the Dioceses patronize and partner with Anglican Cable Network Nigeria (ACNN) for sustenance, ease of growth and greater global reach.
- The churches are encouraged to improve on their social media communications such as live streaming, upholding of videos and providing the wherewithal to remain online.
- It calls on the Diocesan communicators to appoint point persons to be exposed to the rudiments of journalism for wider coverage and reportage of happenings at the parish and Archdeaconry levels.
- It urges the church to attach premium to voter education of members, to ensure active participation at elections, and emergence of credible leaders to build a more virile, just and egalitarian society.
- The conference enjoins the Federal Government to take more proactive measures to halt the economy from further depression to put smiles on the faces of the suffering masses. It equally calls on Federal Government to check prevailing acts of impunity and lopsided battle against corruption.
- The conference notes the effort of the Federal Government in rehabilitating broken down infrastructures and calls on it to urgently fast-track the repair of other dilapidated roads across the country.
- Dame Lizzy Wilfred Fombo – Chairman.
- Canon Dr. Nelson Iluno – Secretary.
- George Best Okoro – Member.
VEN. FOLUSO TAIWO
Director of Communication,
Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)