FULL TEXT + VIDEO: Primatial Address at the 14th General Synod of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion.September 22, 2023
- Korede Akintunde
- July 25, 2023
- 0 Comments
Ven. Festus Uzorka Nwafili was born on Easter Monday, April 19, 1976 to the family of Late Mr Stephen & Lay Reader (Mrs) Sussana Nwafili of Obeche-Inyi in Ndokwa-East LGA of Delta State.
He had his First School Leaving Certificate in 1987 and SSCE Certificate in 1993/1996. He had his Ordination training at St. Paul’s University College, Awka (Affiliated to University of Nigeria, Nsukka) from September 1997 to May 2001, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts Degree (First Class Honours) in Religion (UNN) and Diploma in Theology with Distinction (SPUCA). He holds a Master’s of Arts Degree in New Testament Studies from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka in 2010. He is currently pursuing a PhD in New Testament Studies in the same University.
Schools attended with dates are as follows:
2007 – 2010 – Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka – MA (New Testament Studies)
1997 – 2001 – St Paul’s University College, Awka (Affiliated to UNN)- Diploma in Theology and BA(Hons) in Religion
1995 – 1996 – Afor Secondary School, Afor – SSCE
1988 – 1993 – Utagba-Ogbe Grammar School, Utagba-Ogbe – SSCE
1986 – 1987 – Oluchi Primary School, Okpai-Oluchi – FSLC
1985 – 1986 – Iyiatu Primary School, Kwale – Primary Education
1983 – 1985 – Owessei Primary School, Kwale – Primary Education
1981 – 1983 – Uruegbe Primary School, Owheologbo – Primary Education
Baptism and Confirmation: He was baptized as an infant on March 4, 1979 by Revd E.C. Udogwu and confirmed on October 21, 1990 by the Rt Revd Dr R.N.C. Nwosu.
Conversion and Call to Church Ministry: Festus came to faith in Christ on June 11, 1994 during a Revival programme of EFAC Abbi Bloc organized by Revd Gideon Chukwudi Okwechime at St John’s Church, Abbi. He had the Call to the ministry the night he preached his first sermon at Christ’s Church, Kwale, on August 7, 1994. And was formally engaged by Ven Daniel N. Emordi (then Archdeacon of Ndokwa Archdeaconry) as a Church Teacher and posted to the Anglican Church of the Pentecost, Emu-Obodeti on January 1, 1995 at the age of 18.
Ordination and Preferment:
- He was made a Deacon on October 7, 2001 by the Rt Revd Nicholas D. Okoh
- Ordered a Priest on July 14, 2002 by the Rt Revd Nicholas D. Okoh
- Preferred a Canon on May 19, 2006 by the Most Revd Nicholas D. Okoh
- Appointed an Archdeaconry Supervisor on September 1, 2007 by the Most Revd Nicholas D. Okoh, and
- Preferred an Archdeacon on February 15, 2010 by the Rt Revd David F.A. Obiosa.
Since joining the ministry of the Church in 1995, Festus have served in 3 Dioceses in the capacities indicated below:
In the Diocese of Asaba:
- Church Teacher, Anglican Church of the Pentecost, Emu-Obodeti (January 1995 – September 1997)
- Assistant Bishop’s Chaplain (June 2001 – January 2002)
- Vicar, St James’ Anglican Church, Atuma (January 2002 – January 2003)
- Parish Priest, Okpanam Parish/Vicar, St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Okpanam (January 2003 – September 2007)
- Clerical Synod Secretary, Diocese of Asaba (May 2003 – June 2008)
- Clerical Secretary, Bendel Provincial Council (November 2005 – April 2010)
- Supervisor, Ndokwa Archdeaconry, Parish Priest, Utagba-Ogbe Parish and Vicar, Christ’s Anglican Church, Kwale (September 2007 – June 2008).
In Ndokwa Missionary Diocese:
- Supervisor, Ndokwa Archdeaconry (June 2008 – February 2010)
- Parish Priest, Utagba-Ogbe Parish and Vicar, Christ’s Anglican Church, Kwale (June 2008 – April 2010)
- Clerical Council (Synod) Secretary (June 2008 – April 2010)
- Chairman, Bishop’s Examining Chaplains (June 2008 – April 2010)
- Archdeacon, Ndokwa Archdeaconry (February 2010 – April 2010).
In the Diocese of Abuja:
- Primate’s Chaplain (April 20, 2010 – March 25, 2020)
- Assisting Priest, All Saints’ Church, Wuse Zone 5 (April 20, 2010 – January 6, 2014)
- Supervising Priest, Gudu Archdeaconry/Vicar, Basilica of Grace, Gudu (January 6, 2014 – January 2, 2020)
- Supervising Priest, Asokoro Archdeaconry/Vicar of St. James’ Anglican Church, Asokoro (January 2, 2020 – December 30, 2021)
- Chairman, Diocesan Area Fellowship Committee (November 2020 – Date)
- Supervising Priest, Maitama Archdeaconry/Vicar of St. Matthew’s Anglican Church, Maitama (December 30, 2021 – Date)
- Warden, St Matthias’ House, Gudu (July 2022 – Date)
- Liaison Officer for Anglican Chaplains in the Military and Police Chaplaincy (August 2022 – Date)
- Canon Liturgist, Diocese of Abuja (May 20, 2023 – Date).
Festus is a gifted Preacher, Teacher, Liturgist, Church Planter/Builder and an Administrator.
ELECTION AS BISHOP
Festus was elected a bishop in the Church of God for the Diocese of Ndokwa at the Episcopal Synod of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) held on Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at the Basilica of Grace, Gudu District, Abuja. He will be Consecrated on Sunday, August 27, 2023 at the Archbishop Vining Memorial Cathedral Church, Ikeja Lagos; and Enthroned as the second Bishop of the Diocese of Ndokwa on Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Obiaruku, Delta State.
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Festus got married to his heartthrob, Mrs Evelyn Nwamaka Uzorka-Nwafili (Nee Hozana) on Saturday, October 9, 2004 at St Andrew’s Church, Okpanam. Evelyn holds a NCE in Social Studies/Political Science from College of Education, Agbor (2004); and a B.Ed in Social Studies from the University of Abuja (2015). She is a Secondary School Teacher with the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) and Fashion Designer. The marriage is blessed with 4 beloved children. To God be all the glory!